Big spicy red and purple pomegranate salad
This delicious mix of purple and red is a feast for the eyes and it’s stacked with anti-oxidants. The spectacular range of vegetables includes radishes, beetroot, pomegranate and purple cabbage, with herbs and lentils for added flavor. Using a mandolin makes this salad a whole lot better, it slices the vegetables finely and evenly, so much easier than my knife skills ever could.
Enjoy it by itself, it’s perfect for lunch the next day or as a side – but watch out, it might upstage the main meal.
- ½ red cabbage, finely sliced
- Seeds of 1 pomegranate
- 2 radishes finely sliced
- ½ beetroot, washed, peeled and finely sliced
- ½ cup of lentils, cooked
- A few slices of red onion
- 1 red chili, seeds removed and finely sliced (optional)
- A handful of mint leaves
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Salt and pepper
- Place the cabbage, radishes, beetroot, lentils, pomegranate seeds and red onion in a large salad bowl.
- Mix all the vegetables together
- Top with pomegranate seeds and red chilies, if using.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and whisk to combine really well
- Pour over the salad, toss to coat
- Taste for seasoning
- Top with a few mint leaves