Breakfast Nasi Goreng (gluten free)
Breakfast Nasi Goreng
When you’re looking for a hearty breakfast to see you through the day, this breakfast nasi goreng with quinoa will definitely do the trick. It’s perfect for an indulgent weekend treat or mid-week pick-me-up -any excuse really, it’s that good! For a vegan option leave out the egg and for a grain-free option swap the quinoa for cauliflower rice.
Preparation is key
There is a bit of work in preparing this dish but it is well worth it. To save time, have your Quinoa pre-cooked. Also, have your herbs and vegetables cut and washed the night before so that it only takes ten minutes to whip in the morning. Any leftovers will be delicious for lunch!
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or a ¼ cup of macadamia nut oil
- 4 red Asian shallots
- 2 teaspoons of freshly grated turmeric
- 2 teaspoons of freshly grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 large red chili, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 lemongrass stem, white part only, finely sliced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, stem removed and finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon of tamari
- 1 tablespoon of rice malt syrup or honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 cups of cauliflower rice or 4 cups of cooked quinoa
- 100gm of green beans, sliced in 2 cm pieces
- A handful of baby spinach leaves
- 1 carrot grated
- A handful of kale leaves stem removed and roughly chopped
- 4 eggs, fried
- Crispy shallots
- A handful of cashews and coriander to serve
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat.
- Add the shallots, turmeric, ½ of red chili, lemongrass, lime leaves and stirring continuously until soften and becomes fragrant (about 30 seconds – 1 minute)
- Add the green beans, kale leaves, garlic, ginger, cashews, and cauliflower rice or quinoa and cook for another 2 minutes
- Stir in the tamari and rice malt syrup or honey stirring to combine
- Add the spinach leaves and cook for further 1 minute
- Pour in lime juice and a pinch of salt and pepper, stir and remove from the heat.
- To serve, evenly divide the nasi goreng into 4 bowls and top with a fried egg, crispy shallots, coriander and the remainder of the chili