Broccoli and Almond Soup
This Broccoli and almond soup is both warming, nutritious, and best of all, it hits the spot. It also ticks the paleo box as it’s dairy free. Soup is a great way to supercharge your vegetable intake.
Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables it contains vitamin C, calcium, B-group vitamins and indole which means it is anti-inflammatory, helps in liver detoxification and healthy estrogen metabolism. This is my go-to recipe when I need a pick me up.
The toasted almonds add a creamy and earthy element to the dish. Even my broccoli hating son gives this soup a thumbs up.
The great thing about this soup is that it tastes great the next day, sprinkle over some flaked almonds, chili flakes and parsley leaves to serve. Yum!!
- 3 small heads of broccoli
- 1 cup of toasted almonds
- 2 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil with 1 tablespoon of salt
- Add the broccoli and boil rapidly until you can easily press a fork through the broccoli (3-5 minutes).
- When the broccoli is cooked, remove it with a slotted spoon and place in a high-speed blender, Place 2 cups of the broccoli water into a blender ( I used the thermomix) Be very careful as the water is really hot.
- Reserve the rest of the water, just in case you would like a smoother consistency.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium sized frypan add the almonds and garlic and saute for 3 minutes constantly stirring, so as not to burn them
- Add the almonds and garlic, to the high-speed blender and blend on high until it is a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper
- If it is too thick add a little more of the reserved broccoli water and blend to the consistency of your liking.
- Pour into bowls and season with salt and pepper
- Top with flaked almonds, chili flakes, and parsley leaves.
- Enjoy : )