Chocolate and quinoa breakfast bowl
Chocolate, quinoa, fruit and nut bowl
I’ve played with a few different combinations for this quinoa breakfast bowl, but this is easily my favourite. There’s a natural delicious sweetness from the kiwi fruits and mandarins, but it’s balanced with the tartness of the pomegranates and bitterness of the dark chocolate. Pomegranates and chocolate go so well together, who knew!
On a side note, I like to leave the skin on my kiwi fruit, it’s really high in fibre and antioxidants. It took me a little while to get used to the texture, but after a wash it’s fine.
This is one of my favorite autumn combinations, but let seasonality guide you and be sure to give it a go with strawberries, raspberries, apricots, or figs. Serve with cold or warm milk.
- 4 cups of cooked quinoa
- 2 mandarins, peeled and segments separated
- 2 kiwi fruits, sliced into thin strips
- ½ cup of pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup of toasted coconut chips
- 1 cup of coconut yogurt
- ¼ cup of mixed nuts and seeds of your choice (pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, brazil nuts)
- 4 cups of milk (coconut, almond or dairy)
- 1 tablespoon of cacao
- 1 tablespoon of grated dark chocolate
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- Whisk the cacao, cinnamon, and milk together in a medium-sized bowl and set aside
- Divide the quinoa between 4 bowls
- Top with the pomegranate seeds, kiwi fruit, mandarin
- Sprinkle over the coconut chips, nuts, seeds and coconut yogurt
- Pour over the chocolate milk
- Sprinkle with a little grated dark chocolate