Being Italian and gluten-free can sometimes be a little tricky, especially when it comes to pasta. I was flipping through La Cucina Italiana recently when I saw a picture of this egg tagliatelle covered in a delicious sauce. I tried it that night and it was amazing. It looks and feels just like tagliatelle. As much as I love zoodles, especially in summer, sometimes I feel like I need something else and this egg pasta really filled me up without the effects of too much gluten. It can take a little while to make because you have to cook the eggs in batches, roll and cut, but it’s definitely worth it.
For this recipe, I’ve made a simple salmon and cherry tomato sauce but you can use any sauce really. A simple tomato sauce, pesto or mushroom sauce is equally as delicious.
- 6 eggs
- 60 gm of parmesan cheese (for a dairy free option leave out the parmesan cheese)
- ½ red onion finely sliced
- ½ cup of white wine
- 200gm of ripe sweet cherry tomatoes, quartered
- A handful of dill, roughly chopped
- A handful of parsley, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 200gm of smoked salmon
- Beat the eggs together with salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Heat a 1 teaspoon of oil to a 15cm - 16cm frypan
- Pour in a little bit of the egg mixture to cover the bottom of the pan - you should make 6-8 small omelets.
- Cook the omelets on low to medium heat until they are golden brown (1-2 minutes each side)
- Stack 2-3 three omelets on top of one another, roll them up and cut into 1cm ribbons like tagliatelle.
- For the sauce
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the red onion and saute on low heat until translucent and softened. Stir occasionally being careful not to burn the onion (5-8 mins)
- Add the wine and turn up the heat, cook until the wine evaporates
- Stir in the tomatoes with half the dill and parsley leaves
- Cover with a lid, lower heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes
- Once heated through, remove the lid add the smoked salmon and egg tagliatelle stir through until well combined
- Divide the pasta evenly between 4 pasta bowls
- Top with extra dill and parsley leaves
- Season with salt and pepper