Fish and parsnip chips (gluten-free)
Fish and chips
Who’s having fish and chips on Good Friday? We are! Yay, I can hear my son saying !! Fish and chips are really simple to make but it is really important to get fresh, good quality fish. I started using potato flour to dust the fish, it is gluten free and crisps up nicely. Instead of using potato for the chips I am making parsnip chips, they take a little bit of time to cook but it’s worth the wait especially sprinkled with some fresh rosemary salt, yum : ).
- 500gm of flathead fillets.
- plain flour or potato flour (gluten-free)
- salt and pepper
- Parsnip chips
- 6 parsnips cut into thin strips like chips
- Olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of Himalayan salt flakes
- ¼ teaspoon of rosemary leaves
- Homemade tartare sauce
- 300 ml of homemade mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of cornichons, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of salted capers, rinsed and drained
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Heat a
medium sizesaucepan of water to boiling, add the parsnip and cook for 5 minutes
- Place the parsnips onto the tray
- Drizzle with olive oil/coconut oil
- Roast for 40 minutes until golden and crunchy, turning halfway through.
- While the chips are baking you can quickly make the tartare sauce
- Place all the ingredients for the tartare sauce in a small bowl. Stir until well combined and season with salt and pepper. Store the tartare in the fridge until you need to use it.
- Once the chips are cooked remove them from the oven.
areready pullthem out of the oven
- Combine rosemary leaves and salt in a small bowl
- Toss the rosemary salt over the parsnip chips while they are warm
- To make the fish
- Season the fish fillets with salt and pepper and dust with flour.
- Heat a little olive oil or coconut oil in
- Once the oil is hot enough gently place 1 or 2 fillets of fish in the saucepan and cook for around 2 minutes each side or until they are cooked through.
- Place the fish on a paper towel to drain off any extra oil
- Serve the fish and parsnip chips with tartare.