Green Herb Salt
If you want a gift that will never expire, then this green herb salt is the way to go. This simple combination of sea salt, lemon rind and fresh oregano, rosemary and bay leaves is great as a meat rub, sprinkled on home-made chips, in mashed potato, on roasted veggies or as a salad dressing.
The key to a great flavored salt is to use a good quality sea salt and fresh herbs. The recipe here is one of my favourite combinations – it is really versatile and goes well with a variety of dishes. You can experiment with the herbs and spices to put your own spin on it.
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- ⅓ cup of medium coarse salt flakes
- Finely chopped the bay leaf, oregano and rosemary leaves
- Place the salt in a small bowl
- Stir the herbs and lemon rind together with the salt
- Let stand at room temperature, covered with a clean tea towel overnight. TO dry out the herbs and lemon rind.
- Use immediately, then store in a sealed glass jar.