Homemade Orange and Strawberry Jelly
I’m sure my son isn’t the only one who loves store-bought sweet jelly – so this is my healthy, homemade, orange and strawberry jelly. He now says that he loves this one more, YES!! : ).
The jelly often makes it into his lunch box as a snack. It’s important to use grass-fed gelatin, I use gelpro gelation – it is certified organic and has many health benefits such as helping digestion, stabilising sugar levels and an anti-inflammatory.
Make it seasonal
You can swap the orange and strawberry for other seasonal fruits such as raspberries, watermelon, mangoes, pineapple, apple, mandarins and pomegranates. For a summer inspired flavoured jelly, try the following combinations – pineapple and coconut milk, mango and coconut milk or raspberries and coconut milk with a touch of vanilla.
Have fun and experiment!
- 3 ½ tablespoons gelatine powder
- ⅓ of cup of water
- 1 cup of strawberries roughly chopped
- ½ cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
- Line a square tray with baking paper
- Place the gelatine and ⅓ of a cup of water into a small bowl, stir until all the water has been absorbed by the gelatine.
- Let it stand for a few minutes. It should be hard and rubbery.
- Place the strawberries and orange juice into a small saucepan, gently heat until simmering. (don't let it boil).
- Take the pan off the heat
- Break in the gelatine and stir until dissolved
- Pour into the prepared tray
- Put in the fridge for 2 hours to set or 30 minutes in the freezer
- Cut into squares and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week