Roast Chicken with Lemon Thyme
Lemon Thyme Roast Chicken
Roast chicken is still one of my favorite meals and perfect for a lazy Sunday dinner. This is ridiculously easy to make and has a wonderful flavor from the lemon thyme, bay leaf and garlic. If you don’t have lemon thyme on hand than you can easily substitute with thyme – it will still taste great.
Happy Roasting : )
- Roast chicken with lemon and thyme (serves 4)
- 2kg organic chicken
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large lemon, preferably unwaxed, cut into wedges
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 whole garlic bulb, broken into cloves
- 1 handful fresh lemon thyme
- Olive oil
- 1 bunch of heirloom carrots
- 2 cups of peas
- 5 mint leaves
- salt and pepper to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
- Rub the chicken inside salt, black pepper and olive oil.
- Push the garlic cloves, the lemon quarters, lemon thyme and 1 bay leaf into the cavity of the chicken.
- Put the chicken into a roasting tray and cook in the preheated oven for around 45 minutes
- After 45 minutes remove the chicken from the roasting tray and add the carrots - drizzle with olive oil, season with salt, pepper and add the bay leaf and lemon thyme.
- Place the roasting tray back into the oven and roast for another 45minutes or until the chicken juices run out clear when poked with a skewer.
- While the chicken is roasting bring a medium-sized pot to a boil - add the frozen peas and boil for 30 seconds.
- Drain the peas and place them in a bowl
- Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper
- Toss through fresh mint leaves.
- Serve the chicken with carrots and minted peas