Pico de Gallo – That’s Spanish for delicious….actually the literal translation is ‘rooster’s beak’ but you might know it better as salsa fresca or salsa cruda. This staple of Mexican cuisine is great as a side or snack and is quick and easy to make. This salad is enhanced by the quality of tomatoes you use, very ripe and sweet cherry tomatoes are the best.
The combination of cherry tomatoes, red onions, fresh lime juice and coriander work on all the senses. I like to make two bowls and top one with half a deseeded red chili for adults and let the kids enjoy their snack without the fire!
- 250gm of ripe cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 medium red chili, deseeded and finely sliced
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh coriander
- Sea salt
- Juice of ½ lime
- To make the Pico de Gallo:
- Toss the tomatoes, onion, chili, coriander, lime juice and salt together, in a medium-sized bowl.